Leah’s Pantry is a California non-profit organization that promotes healthier lives among low-income and food insecure populations. We work with CalFresh-eligible individuals and individuals with high nutrition risk to support healthy, sustained behavior changes through interactive, effective, and culturally relevant programs, both in-person and online.
Leah’s Pantry is looking to hire a bilingual Chinese facilitator to teach approximately 30 nutrition education workshop series and presentations. All classes will be taught in Chinese (Cantonese/Mandarin) to older adults and adults with disabilities in San Francisco and will use the Food Smarts curriculum. The position runs from July 2019 through June 2020. In addition, there is also an opportunity to teach additional classes in English.
Position Role and Responsibilities
- Conduct nutrition education and cooking workshops using approved Food Smarts curriculum and materials.
- Plan for class, shop for food and gather necessary materials.
- Post a summary of each workshop to our online community.
- Coordinate and schedule workshops with site coordinators at congregate meal sites.
- Create and translate promotional materials for scheduled classes.
- Submit monthly workshop data.
- Positive attitude while working with older adults and adults with disabilities.
- Reliable, friendly and collaborative. Teamwork comes naturally to you.
- Ability to embrace the flexible mindset required to be successful in a small but busy organization. Sense of humor a must!
- Responsive to internal and external communication.
- Maintain organized and clear records, including attendance sheets and paperwork.
- Life-long learner. Eager to learn new things, in new ways, from a wide variety of people.
- Bi-literacy required in Chinese (preferably both Cantonese and Mandarin).
- Knowledge of San Francisco agencies and health resources a plus.
- High comfort level with technology products. Leah’s Pantry uses Microsoft Office products, Google products and Dropbox.
- Local travel required. Applicants must have access to a car with a clean driving record.
- Demonstrated competency in cooking.
- Demonstrated competency in oral presentations.
- Demonstrated competency in learner-centered group facilitation.
- Background check required.
- California food handlers certification preferred.
- Have had experience working with low-income and ethnically diverse older adults.
- Expenses for mileage and parking will be reimbursed by Leah’s Pantry.
- Hourly rate: $24/hour
- Facilitators are paid as employees of Leah’s Pantry, not as subcontractors.
Only online applications will be accepted. Please submit your cover letter and resume online to http://www.leahspantry.org/about-us/careers/