To prepare you for this deep subject, we ask that all attendees complete a selection of readings, activities, and videos. This will ensure we’re all on the same page and prepare us for rich and fruitful discussions.
- Trauma Basics and the Relationship to Nourishment: This 90-minute Leah’s Pantry webinar provides a basic foundation for exploring food and nutrition through the lens of trauma and resilience. If you did not participate in this webinar in October, it is available for viewing at any time.
- Science of Nutritional Health and Trauma
- Article: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (June 2017), Stress in Early Life and Childhood Obesity Risk
- Article: Lucy Aprahamor (April 2018), Why We Need to Talk about Trauma in Public Health Nutrition
- Individual Biases and Experiences
- Policy, Systems and Environmental Change
- Article: Howard Pinderhughes (August 2017), The Interplay of Community Trauma, Diet, and Physical Activity
- Article: Sandra Bloom (2010), Sanctuary Trauma
- Trauma-Informed Facilitation Skills Webinar (2 hrs, optional): Dr. Sam Himmelstein presents how to facilitate workshops. Focuses on traumatized youth and our Around the Table Curriculum but applicable to a variety of settings and curricula. This will be required viewing for the Around the Table training.
Location, Parking, & Transportation
Free parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis at the San Diego Food Bank. Car-pooling is suggested.
What to Bring
- Water bottle
- Notepad and pen
- Comfortable clothing
- Lunch (if you don’t want to eat out)
Where to Stay
There are tons of great hotels nearby. These three represent a few different price points and hotel styles.
- Staybridge Suites San Diego – Sorrento Mesa
Distance: 2.2 miles
- Extended Stay America – San Diego – Sorrento Mesa
Distance: 3.1 miles
- Hyatt House San Diego/Sorrento Mesa
Distance: 2.5 miles
Where to Eat
- Starbucks on Miramar or Mira Mesa Blvd.
- Donatos Taco Shop
- Urbane Cafe
- Santorini Express Greek Island Grill
Training Slides & Follow-up Materials
Will be shared after the event