Around the Table and Around the Table: Nourishing Families (preview) are designed to build food, nutrition, and cooking literacy, while integrating social emotional learning and using trauma-sensitive facilitation. Participants enjoy hands-on cooking, facilitated conversations, and interactive activities that support healthy connections to food, self, and community.
- Around the Table is a six-week youth and young adult curriculum designed for groups of 7-15 youth, aged 14-21.
- Around the Table: Nourishing Families is a six-week adult curriculum designed for groups of 10-14 adults raising children.
- Two facilitators are recommended.
- A kitchen or community space with room for hands-on food preparation is required.
- Approved for use in California’s CalFresh Healthy Living Program (SNAP-Ed).
These programs prioritize:
- Relationship building
- Joyful experiences
- Safety and trust
- Empowerment and self care
- Cook and eat together
- Share memories and stories about food
- Explore their personal relationship to food
- Improve cooking and food resource management skills
- Learn about nutrition for good physical and mental health
- Explore healthy coping and self nourishment skills
- Plan their own menu
- Practice mindful eating, grounding, and gratitude
The following training is required before educators can facilitate Around the Table and/or Around the Table: Nourishing Families. This training includes:
- Self-assessment of readiness and skills for trauma-informed engagement
- Basic principles of trauma-informed nutrition education
- Trauma-informed strategies for working with youth
|Trauma-Sensitive Nutrition Security||x||7 hrs||$150|
|Around the Table Training Program (ATTP)||x||4 hrs||$75|
|Trauma Basics and the Relationship to Nourishment||X||1.5 hrs||**|
|Online pre-training coursework||x||4.5 hrs||**|
* Cost includes digital access to curriculum. Fee is waived for CalFresh Healthy Living Funded agencies.
** These items are included in the cost of the other trainings.
Interested in using Around the Table and/or Around the Table: Nourishing Families with your clients/participants? Complete our Partner Registration to learn how to bring our educators to your site and access partner downloads (see training requirements above).