Coming Soon: Online Food Smarts Lessons!
Food Smarts (preview) is a flexible, learner-centered cooking and nutrition curriculum with materials and lesson plans appropriate for K-12 youth and adults (including older adults).
- The Adult and Kids Instructor Guides offer lesson plans with different class/series lengths that can be customized for your specific situation.
- Adult Workbooks are offered in English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Russian, and Korean. Kids Workbooks are offered in English.
- Included in the USDA SNAP-Ed Toolkit.
- Facilitator training is required.
- Evaluation tools are available. (Food Smarts Kids was tested with 4th and 5th graders.)
New for 2020: Food Smarts now includes lesson plans with a focus on food waste reduction designed for adults. The Food Smarts: Waste Reduction Adult Workbook (English) is now available for download (for existing partners) or purchase. Spanish and Chinese versions will follow in July. This can be facilitated as a three-week series, or as single session classes, using the updated Food Smarts Adult Instructor Guide.
COVID-19 Update: Leah’s Pantry gives permission for trained partners to deliver Food Smarts content remotely to participants.
Food Smarts is part of the USDA’s national SNAP-Ed Toolkit, a one-stop shop for organizations seeking programs to improve nutritional health in their communities.
Training is required before educators can facilitate Food Smarts Curriculum. This requirement can be fulfilled via:
|In-Person Food Smarts Training Program (FSTP)||X||8 hrs||Varies|
|Food Smarts Training Program (FSTP) Webinar||X||6 hrs||$75|
|Private Food Smarts Overview||X||2 hrs||$200|
*Cost includes digital access to curriculum. Fee is waived for CalFresh Living Funded agencies.
Interested in using Food Smarts for your clients/participants? Complete our Partner Registration to learn how to bring our educators to your site and access partner downloads (see training requirements above).